Not blessed with full and sexy lips? Lip fillers will plump and provide definition with a completely natural look! Natural look is hard to achieve, but at Skinly we developed proprietary techniques to achieve just that!
- 100% natural look at Skinly Aesthetics
- No pain with the strongest anesthetic available
- No downtime
- Instant results that last 6-12 months
- 1 Fast Facts:
- 2 WHY ARE LIP FILLERS SO POPULAR IN NEW YORK?
- 3 GETTING READY FOR YOUR LIP FILLER CONSULTATION IN NYC
- 4 HOW DO LIP FILLERS WORK?
- 5 LIP TYPES AND SHAPES
- 6 HOW ARE LIP FILLERS INJECTED?
- 7 HOW MUCH LIP FILLER IS USUALLY USED DURING A SINGLE SESSION?
- 8 WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR LIP FILLER?
- 9 PREPARING FOR YOUR LIP FILLER PROCEDURE
- 10 WHAT IS A LIP FILLER PROCEDURE LIKE?
- 11 HOW LONG IS LIP FILLER PROCEDURE?
- 12 LIP FILLER RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS
- 13 AVOIDING COMPLICATIONS AFTER A LIP FILLER
- 14 WHAT IS THE DOWNTIME AFTER A LIP FILLER?
- 15 WHAT IS THE AFTERCARE FOR LIP FILLERS?
- 16 HOW MUCH DO LIP FILLERS COST?
- 17 THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF LIP FILLERS AND INJECTION TECHNIQUES
- 18 LIP SURGERY VS. LIP INJECTION
- 19 ADDITIONAL PROCEDURES THAT WORK WELL WITH LIP INJECTIONS
- 20 WHAT IS A LIP FLIP?
- 21 HOW CAN I MAGNIFY MY LIPS WITHOUT FILLER?
- 22 HOW MUCH FILLER IS NEEDED FOR MY LIPS?
- 23 WHICH FILLER IS BEST FOR THE LIPS?
- 24 LIP FILLER INJECTIONS NEEDLE VS CANNULA
- 25 IS LIP FILLER PAINFUL?
- 26 HOW LONG UNTIL MY LIP RESULTS KICK IN?
- 27 HOW LONG WILL MY LIP INJECTION RESULTS LAST? ARE THEY PERMANENT?
- 28 CAN MY LIP FILLER BE DISSOLVED?
- 29 LIP FILLER BEFORE AND AFTER RESULTS
- 30 WEARING LIPSTICK AFTER LIP FILLER
- 31 LIP FILLER INJECTIONS AND BRUISING
- 32 WHEN IS IT OKAY TO EAT AND DRINK AFTER LIP INJECTIONS?
- 33 WHAT DO I DO ABOUT SWELLING?
- 34 WILL LIP FILLER RUIN MY LIPS?
- 35 IS LIP FILLER COVERED BY INSURANCE?
- 36 GETTING LIP FILLERS WHILE PREGNANT
- 37 CAN MEN GET LIP FILLER?
- 38 ARE LIP FILLERS SAFE?
- 39 ARE LIP FILLERS WORTH IT?
- 40 LIP FILLER PROS AND CONS
- 41 TAKEAWAY
- 42 WHERE CAN I GET LIP FILLER NEAR ME?
- 43 HOW CAN I GET STARTED ON MY LIP FILLER?
- 44 FAQ
- 45 RELATED TOPICS
- About: Lip filler augmentation is a non-surgical cosmetic medical procedure in which a hyaluronic acid based filler is injected into the upper and lower lips to shape, provide definition and structure, or add overall volume to the lips. This form of lip enhancement is FDA approved as a safe and effective minimally invasive treatment for lip enhancement. When administered by a skilled and experienced physician lip filler results are naturally beautiful and aesthetically pleasing (3).
- Convenience: A lip filler injection can be performed in 20 – 30 minutes to enhance the appearance of the lips. Risks and side effects are minimal and typically last no longer than 1 – 3 days. Patients are able to return to work and engage in most normal activities immediately after their appointment.
- Cost: The cost of lip injections in NYC ranges $600 – $1400 per 1 syringe. The average number of syringes used is 1 per treatment.
- Efficacy: If performed by an experienced injector using the proper technique to suit each individual’s lips, lip fillers are highly effective in replacing lost volume and lip fullness, and enhancing the shape and overall appearance of the lips.
WHY ARE LIP FILLERS SO POPULAR IN NEW YORK?
Injectable lip enhancements in NYC have significantly grown in popularity over the past decade due to a variety of factors (1). Lip transformations via injectable dermal fillers have become socially and publicly normalized and accepted due to the openness and transparency offered by social media and some of the world’s favorite celebrities including Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner. In New York City, where everybody is obsessed with the way they look and especially a beautiful pout, lip injections have become one of the most popular facial enhancement procedures. However, they also offer a number of undeniable aesthetic benefits to various patient populations including:
- Adding lip volume, definition and projection – a lot of patients naturally have thin lips and decide to get lip fillers to enhance their lips shape for a fuller, more voluptuous pout. It is a common struggle to have a small upper lip that looks like a thin top line and requires ingenuity and creativity to make it look full and luscious with makeup. You may recognize that you are one of those patients spending a lot of time, energy, and effort to have that attractive look you always wanted and getting tired of having to spend hours by elaborately outlining your lips with makeup. Living a busy New York City life is an additional challenge where every minute matters and spending less time on makeup is a blessing for many people.
- Rejuvenation – with age and gravity, the natural production of collagen, fat and hyaluronic acid slows down resulting in loss of volume, plumpness, and hydration in the lips. This desirable lip tissue volume and fullness can be fully restored with hyaluronic acid based lip fillers to rejuvenate and enhance the mouth area. Many patients who travel out of their home states to NYC to seek Dr. Schwarzburg’s assessment tell him the same story about how their lips used to look plump and wrinkle-free, but over decades have lost their glow and shine to become dull and dry. Applying over-the-counter remedies often lead to even more frustration, as the effects are short-lived and barely noticeable. In cases like that reversing decades-old damage can only be accomplished with a careful lip filler injection at Dr. Schwarzburg’s dermatology clinic in NYC.
- Prevention – as we become older, our bodies produce less collagen and lose facial volume, as well as hydration, particularly in the lips. Lip filler can be used as a preventative measure in small doses to maintain a younger-looking lip before these effects of aging take place. When administered regularly before these common signs of aging rise to the surface, patients are able to age gracefully, without developing perioral lines around the lips, maintain the fullness of their lips, and preserve a hydrated and glossy pout. This can be accomplished with small amounts of dermal filler or full syringes based on each patient’s aesthetic goals.
- Symmetry – practically no one is perfectly symmetrical and in some cases, there is significant unevenness in the lips, which can be balanced out using dermal fillers. Quite often Dr. Schwarzburg observes minor lip irregularities ranging from one side being taller or another side being more inverted or rolled in than the other. Regardless of the cause almost all of them can be easily corrected with a few targeted lip injections to achieve near-perfect symmetry.
- Smoothing facial wrinkles – sun damage, improper skin care, smoking and age-related collagen loss inevitably lead to crinkled and dehydrated lips. This can be quite challenging to smooth out via non-invasive methods such as creams, peels or even microneedling with results being underwhelming at best. On the other hand, lip fillers are reproducibly and reliably used to correct perioral folds, wrinkles and smoker’s lines to restore lips radiance.
GETTING READY FOR YOUR LIP FILLER CONSULTATION IN NYC
When you come to his New York plastic surgery clinic, Dr. Schwarzburg would perform a thorough assessment of your lips and their structural and functional anatomy. Next, your treatment goals will be discussed in detail to ensure that the results you are trying to get can be achieved through this non-surgical lip augmentation. This is also an ideal time to ask as many questions as possible to ensure you fully understand the process and to avoid any possible dissatisfaction with the treatment. Pre-procedural photographs are also taken at this time to have them readily available to compare your before and after results following lip filler injections.
HOW DO LIP FILLERS WORK?
The lips are then sanitized with alcohol and numbed with a topical anesthetic gel containing 25% lidocaine and tetracaine to virtually eliminate pain and discomfort 15 minutes before the injection process. Lips are one of the most sensitive organs when it comes to injections and having them fully anesthetized is crucial to keeping patients still and comfortable during the procedure. Rarely, Dr. Schwarzburg will perform an intraoral lidocaine injection for patients with very low pain tolerance.
After carefully mapping out the injection territory with a dermal pen, a carefully selected facial hyaluronic acid filler is injected using a small hollow needle (15 mm, 31 Gauge) into various regions of the lip such as the vermillion border (the border between the red and white lip surfaces), the body of the lip, Cupid’s bow (V-shaped center of the upper lip), philtrum columns (two vertical lines projecting from the base of the nose to the vermillion border), and oral commissures (corners of the mouth).
Once the injections are complete the lips are further molded through a special massaging technique to achieve the most sensual and sexy look possible, but also to make sure the filler spreads evenly without visible lumps and settles evenly.
The initial intense swelling which is observed within the first 24-48 hours of lip injections is secondary to the above-described inflammatory processes and subsides in the next 1-2 days decreasing the lip volume by 25-30% and resulting in the final appearance of the lips. Dr. Schwarzburg advises his patients in NYC to stay calm and reserved in the 2 days following lip injections as the swollen and sometimes grotesque look is transient and the lips assume their new normal shape and form in approximately 3 days. While it’s infrequent, some patients do get overwhelmed especially when they have a special event coming up in New York, and exhibit the urge to undo their lip filler by injecting lip-dissolving medicine such as hyaluronidase. Dr. Schwarzburg strongly advises against this extreme action and to exercise patience with the healing process.
One of the advantages that non-surgical lip filler augmentation carries with them is that results usually last anywhere from 6- 12 months, as the filler gradually is metabolized and secreted by the body.
LIP TYPES AND SHAPES
Everyone’s facial anatomy is different, from the structure of our nose and jawline to the shape of our lips. Contingent on your natural lip shape, one of many lip injection techniques may be used to create your ideal lip shape through the careful and well-thought-out placement of a suitable dermal filler.
Different lip shapes include:
- Full lips – overall fullness in both the top and bottom lip. If this is your lip type, your best bet is to go with an even spread between top and bottom lip for your enhancement.
- Heavy upper lips – if your upper lip is significantly larger than your bottom lip, you may want to even out your lips by adding slightly more filler to the inferior aspect of your lips.
- Wide lips – if you have a wide mouth, ask your provider about the Russian Lip Technique. This can add vertical projection to your lips giving them bottom-to-top emphasis.
- Round lips – round lips are common and often associated with a smaller mouth. Alongside your lip filler, you can explore the option of a lip flip to give your round lips some curvature at the corners of your mouth.
- Heavy lower lips – if your lips are visibly bottom-heavy, it may make your top lip appear extra small. In this case, you can ask your provider to distribute the dermal filler with more emphasis on the top lip to even out the asymmetry.
- Thin lips – many of us have thin or nearly non-existent lips. While this may cause some insecurity, thin lips can be shaped and molded in a variety of ways, giving you many options to get the shape and size that fit your aesthetic goals.
- Bow-shaped lips – you may have more magnification in the center of your mouth that gradually fades as you get closer to the corners of your mouth. Dermal filler placed along the lateral aspect of your lips can give you a more even enhancement.
- Heart-shaped lips – these lips are very similar to round lips but have slightly more volume at the lower lip. Many people want this look, but if you don’t there are techniques to make both top and bottom lip more symmetrical.
- Downward-turned lip – if you feel like you constantly look like you’re frowning due to the downturned corners of your lips, you should consider adding a lip flip to your lip filler to curve the corners upward for an overall more “smiley” look.
HOW ARE LIP FILLERS INJECTED?
There are a variety of techniques that can be used to fill the lips with hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers. Some common techniques are not limited to, but include the following:
- Dermal filler injection technique into the vermillion border and Cupid’s bow serves the goal of creating a sharp and distinct lip border, which is commonly lacking in patients with hereditary thin and narrow lips or in older patients with pronounced lip shrinking secondary to volume loss.
- Body of the lip injection process is an advanced technique that allows to vertically enhance the lips to make them appear both taller and voluptuous without looking fake. When the needle is inserted through the vermillion border this is also known as Russian lip filler technique.
- Philtrum column hyaluronic acid filler placement allows recreating inverted V soft tissue silhouette that is a sign of beauty and youthfulness, but is commonly diminished and reduced throughout the aging process.
HOW MUCH LIP FILLER IS USUALLY USED DURING A SINGLE SESSION?
The average amount of filler used during one treatment is 1 syringe, which contains 1 mL of biocompatible hyaluronic acid gel. Hyaluronic acid gel droplets are hydrophilic meaning that they attract water molecules and expand like a dry sponge submerged in water. This biomechanical property of lip fillers is what creates volume and definition in the injected area. The greater the degree of hydrophilicity the larger lip volume can be obtained with a single lip filler syringe.
Another biochemical property that must be taken into account during lip filler administration is the level of hydration. When the filler is fully hydrated prior to placement the degree of expansion in the human tissues is minimal since it can no longer accept additional water molecules. This means that 1ml of filler remains 1ml in soft tissues without appreciable expansion. However, when the filler is partially hydrated it continues to expand inside the lip, and with a hydration ratio of 50% for example, 1ml of filler in the syringe will become 2ml of newly created volume in the lips. These proportions must be taken into account during the planning process to avoid lips that are too big to fit a patient’s anatomy and look unnatural. Juvederm Ultra generally is the least hydrated dermal filler meaning that it produces the most volume when injected. Dr. Schwarzburg knows all the intricacies related to how fillers are reconstituted and manufactured and knowing how demanding his NYC clientele is, he takes extreme pride in knowing how to approach each of his lip filler patients in New York with the most custom plan possible.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR LIP FILLER?
The ideal candidate for a lip filler is an overall healthy patient who would like to make adjustments to the size, shape, or overall appearance of their lips. Having realistic expectations about the lip filler procedure is important since having an inflated and irrational assumption is the most common cause of disappointment. Patients looking to enhance the size and shape of their upper and lower lips, even out a genetic asymmetry, wanting to enhance the intercommissural distance of the mouth, and augment philtrum columns together with Cupid’s bow are the ones to benefit the most from this minimally invasive procedure.
Additionally, a large proportion of Dr. Schwarzburg’s patient base in NYC prefers to rejuvenate and restore volume in deflated and dehydrated lips secondary to age-related lip shrinking, genetic deficiencies, cigarette smoking and sun damage. Smoking specifically is the leading contributor to unattractive perioral lines also known as smoker’s lines, which are nearly impossible to improve or reverse using other modalities like laser or microneedling. However, with precise and accurate placement of dermal fillers, this nuisance is easily corrected to help you regain both physical beauty and inner confidence.
Very few restrictions exist that can prevent you from getting lip fillers and mostly include active oral infections such as canker or cold sores. Very rarely patients may be allergic to hyaluronic acid itself or lidocaine, and this commonly happens in inflammatory immune-mediated diseases such as lupus. While there are no clinical studies that prevent pregnant patients from getting lip filler procedures, it is well-accepted in the medical community that the stress and anxiety associated with the lip filler process may negatively affect the fetus and hence it is discouraged and frowned upon.
PREPARING FOR YOUR LIP FILLER PROCEDURE
Getting your lip filler done in NYC does not require much planning. However, there are some things you can do to prepare for your lip filler procedure to optimize your results and to make the injections as enjoyable and restful as possible.
Consultation – Be sure to schedule a consultation before your actual procedure, to confirm that you are comfortable with your provider, and are able to discuss all important details regarding your treatment.
Photos – Look up photos of lips that you like for your injector to use as a reference.
Schedule appropriately – If you have a wedding or other special event coming up in Manhattan, be sure to schedule your lip filler at least two weeks in advance, in case of swelling and bruising.
Numbing cream – Confirm with your injector that they provide strong numbing cream at the clinic. If not, you can buy your own at any pharmacy to make the injection process more comfortable.
Blood thinners – Stop taking blood thinners such as aspirin, ibuprofen, excedrin, motrin, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, flax oil, cod liver oil, fish oil, vitamin A, and vitamin E, to prevent you from excessive bruising. You should also avoid herbal supplements.
Alcohol – Avoid alcohol 1-2 days prior to your treatment to avoid exacerbating bruising and swelling.
Cold sores – Let your doctor know if you have cold sores, and take Valtrex one day prior to avoid further aggravation of symptoms during the injection process.
WHAT IS A LIP FILLER PROCEDURE LIKE?
A lip filler is a common minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that does not involve the pre- and post-planning of a surgery.
The process of your lip filler injection in New York with Dr. Schwarzburg at his Skinly Aesthetics practice will involve the following steps:
During your consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss important details regarding your lip filler treatment with Dr. Schwarzburg in the privacy of his exclusive NYC dermatology clinic, who has a critical eye and the expertise to determine which technique and dermal filler will best suit your individual needs. At this time you will go over your treatment goals, any questions and concerns, and thorough medical history to confirm your candidacy for a lip filler. During your consultation pretreatment photos will be taken to use in the future to compare your lip filler results to your starting point. During the consultation process you should ask your provider about their qualifications, the number of lip filler procedures performed and any potential risks you should be expecting.
Once a confirmed candidate, you will move forward with your treatment, which may be performed on that same day, or at a future date based on the provider’s schedule.
The following steps will be taken at your scheduled lip filler appointment to achieve your desired results. A makeup remover is used to wipe off lipstick or any residue. Then, a topical numbing cream is applied to your lips and left on for 15 – 20 minutes to prevent discomfort during the injection process. Most numbing creams contain benzocaine, lidocaine and tetracaine.
Once the numbing cream is removed, the lips are sanitized with alcohol or another appropriate agent before starting the injections themselves. The lips are usually injected with a hyaluronic acid filler either through a small hollow needle or a blunt cannula utilizing a retrograde serial puncture technique. The Russian lip technique is one of the more popular techniques, resulting in a more natural and flattering look.
The lip injection process itself typically takes approximately 20 minutes. Once complete, the treatment area is cleaned again and you will be provided with an ice pack to reduce swelling and bruising.
You will then be sent home and advised to avoid rubbing or touching your lips to avoid migration and to refrain from exercise to reduce the chances of excessive swelling and bruising. On the following day, you may apply a warm compress, should there be any signs of hematomas.
You will see immediate results; however, keep in mind that the final results manifest themselves once the swelling and bruising subside (within 1 – 4 days).
HOW LONG IS LIP FILLER PROCEDURE?
A lip filler may take anywhere from 15 – 30 minutes, depending on how many syringes are used, whether you need to take breaks in between, and the technique that is utilized to achieve your ideal lip shape. Knowing how busy his NYC patients lifestyle is, Dr. Schwarzburg moves swiftly, but with absolute precision.
LIP FILLER RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Lip fillers are a safe and very frequently performed cosmetic treatment. Nevertheless, just as any medical treatment, there are some possible risks and side effects.
Commonly Expected Side effects:
- Swelling (1 – 3 days) secondary to filler expansion and then contraction within the body of the lips.
- Bruising (1 – 4 days) secondary to the needle puncturing small blood vessels and blood collecting inside the soft tissues medically known as hematomas.
- Minor bleeding at the injection site, which can persist up to 10 minutes after treatment.
- Skin irritation (due to swelling your lips may become dry for a few days).
- Discoloration and tenderness (on the first day) secondary to the tissue being pierced with a sharp needle multiple times.
- Cold sore reactivation.
Keep in mind that when swollen, your lips can look disproportionately large, asymmetrical, and out of place, however, this is normal and is due to an inflammatory response, which just like most other minor side effects eventually subsides.
- Infection, which is extremely rare and can be caused by poor disinfection protocols or failure to follow post-procedural instructions. Regardless, infections are quickly resolved following a brief course of antibiotics.
- Formation of small nodules, knots, and lumps that essentially represent an exaggerated immune system response also known as granulomatosis. In 95% of the cases, these little balls can be massaged out or dissolved with Hylenex.
- Skin necrosis or tissue death (vascular compromise) if the filler is injected into or around an artery. This is an extremely rare occurrence, which is a result of improper technique or variant anatomy. Immediate medical attention is required to prevent further tissue injury.
- Asymmetry, where one side may be larger than the other is usually a result of improper filler distribution and an overall poor injection technique.
- Filler migration can rarely happen secondary to extremely dense tissues that prevent normal filler positioning and force filler droplets through the path of least resistance into any potential tissue space, but most commonly above the top lip, creating a “top shelf” look. This can again be adjusted with the help of Hylenex.
All of the above can happen, even when performed by an experienced physician. However, the difference between an experienced board-certified physician like Dr. Schwarzburg, and an inexperienced or unqualified injector is their ability to safely handle these risks and side effects.
When to call your doctor:
Bruising and swelling are the most common side effects and won’t require a follow-up appointment. If you do have any concerns about your filler having migrated, are feeling lumps and bumps inside your lips, or are experiencing any of the complications mentioned above, call your doctor’s office to schedule an appointment for your doctor to make all the necessary adjustments.
AVOIDING COMPLICATIONS AFTER A LIP FILLER
The best way to avoid complications after a lip filler is to make sure that whoever is injecting you checks off all the right boxes. First and foremost, your doctor should be an expert in cosmetic medicine. A lot of people who work in medicine are technically qualified to inject dermal fillers, however, it takes a true expert and someone who specializes in cosmetic injectables to successfully carry out your lip filler while getting you the exact results that you had imagined for yourself.
There are many techniques that can be used to create various lip shapes – only a board-certified physician with advanced training and several years of experience, such as New York based cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Schwarzburg has the necessary expertise and creativity to actually execute these techniques on different facial anatomic structures and lips. The last thing you want is to go to someone who uses the same technique on everyone, regardless of their lip shape – always remember that there is no “one size fits all” way to inject lip filler, especially if you want a specific look. You should also do further research on your provider and look at reviews and before and after photos to make sure that the person injecting you has a proven track record of beautiful outcomes and not several reviews about botched lips.
WHAT IS THE DOWNTIME AFTER A LIP FILLER?
If you watch a YouTube video of a lip filler procedure you may think that the process is so involved and relatively bloody that it requires extensive aftercare. Multiple online outlets also promote the idea that botched lip fillers are the majority of cases and should be avoided. So it may come as a surprise and not very intuitive that following your lip filler procedure there is minor social and virtually no medical downtime.
Thanks to the advanced and sophisticated injection techniques that Dr. Schwarzburg utilizes in his NYC cosmetic dermatology clinic, his patients in 99% of the cases have no visual signs of bruising with immediate results that look natural and unobtrusive.
Dr. Schwarzburg recommends refraining from intense physical activities for at least 24 hours, but otherwise, his patients are free to engage in almost any other pursuit that they wish as long as they feel comfortable doing so. Most of Dr. Schwarzburg’s patients actually go out to flash their newly done and luminous lips to their friends and partners in many of New York City’s lounges, bars and night clubs.
Do keep in mind that any bruising and swelling that develops after the injections can persist for up to 3 days, which may prevent you from social interactions until the tiny wounds are fully healed.
WHAT IS THE AFTERCARE FOR LIP FILLERS?
Dr. Schwarzburg’s custom approach to lip filler injections in his NYC private practice results in few if any side effects. In those rare situations where you do experience minor side effects after your lip filler, there is a specific set of instructions in place. In order to minimize these minor complications and prevent filler migration, you will be advised to take specific measures as outlined below.
To reduce the swelling you should use a provided ice pack immediately and throughout the day. It is also a good idea to avoid activities that make you sweat such as strenuous exercise as well as intense heat, such as steam rooms and saunas for at least 24 hours, since high temperatures will increase tumescence. Reducing sodium intake and increasing water intake decreases the osmolarity of your interstitial fluids and in turn lessens post-procedural lip distension.
In certain rare cases where a patient’s anatomy predisposes to lip filler migration, Dr. Schwarzburg will instruct you to refrain from touching your lips, puckering, kissing, sipping from a straw, or smoking.
There is anecdotal evidence that applying aloe vera, vitamin K, and arnica cream tend to help with bruising. You should wait at least 30 minutes before applying lipstick, and avoid makeup for the first hour to keep the lips clean to allow small puncture wounds to fully close.
To help patients with post-procedural pain and tenderness any of the over-the-counter painkillers are ok to take as long as you don’t have any allergy to them. That includes both Tylenol and any of the NSAIDs including aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen.
HOW MUCH DO LIP FILLERS COST?
The lip filler cost typically ranges $700 – $1400 per 1 syringe, but varies depending on a variety of factors.
Some types of lip fillers are higher in price due to branding, unique composition and quality.
The amount of lip filler injected directly influences the total cost – a full syringe can cost anywhere from $700 to $1400, but some medspas in New York offer package discounts on lip fillers when they are combined with other procedures, or multiple lip fillers are used at the same time. When used for preventative purposes, many patients only receive a half syringe, in which case the price may be lower.
Another common factor contributing to price fluctuations is the injection technique used to achieve your desired look. Most injectors use the same technique on each patient, resulting in mixed or identical outcomes. NYC based Dr. Schwarzburg has an exceptional skill set perfected over a decade that allows him to perform a variety of techniques based on each individual patient’s anatomy and desired outcome.
Geographical location plays an undeniable role in lip filler pricing. Lip filler prices are typically higher in larger cities, such as in NYC or Los Angeles, than in more rural and suburban areas.
Critically, the skill, experience level, and professional title of your injector determine the cost of this advanced procedure. Finding a physician in New York that has the experience and skill to provide the best possible results can be incredibly challenging. The best injectors are those who possess extensive knowledge on functional and structural lip anatomy, are board-certified doctors, and are up to date on scientific literature and findings. Based on this extraordinary level of expertise, doctors will likely charge more than registered nurse.
THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF LIP FILLERS AND INJECTION TECHNIQUES
Various lip fillers have been used to shape and plump the lips over the past few decades. When the concept of non-surgical lip augmentation was first introduced and the injection techniques invented, it was liquid silicone that was used to enlarge the lips until 1991, when the FDA banned the use of liquid silicone as an injectable cosmetic filler because of multiple irreversible dangerous complications.
Today, the primary ingredients used in various dermal filler products include the following:
- Hyaluronic acid (HA), like Juvederm, Restylane and RHA
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite, which is found in Radiesse
- Poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA), which is the primary compound in Sculptra
- Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA)
For lip filler augmentations, hyaluronic acid (HA) based dermal fillers are most commonly used, due to the large variety of hyaluronic lip products and formulations available, as well as the fact that hyaluronic acids are dissolvable and fully reversible. Hyaluronic acid is also a natural substance, and because HA fillers are hydrophilic, they often increase volume by absorbing water molecules surrounding the injection site, expanding and enlarging the treatment area as a result.
Depending on the individual properties of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers, they can be used in different regions of the face, or to achieve various levels of projection in the lips. While some HA gels are denser, others are softer for a more subtle outcome. Some have the tendency to expand more than others to magnify the lips in patients who want more projection or if you have extremely thin lips that you want to bring out.
Restylane Silk and Kysse are known to be on the softer side, which is ideal if you want a mild enhancement with a natural-looking outcome. These two HA fillers are often used with the Russian Lip Technique, which molds the lips upward rather than outward and prevents that “ducky” looking pout. Juvederm Volbella, Voluma, and Juvederm Ultra are great for patients looking to really magnify their lips for maximum fullness. Don’t worry – even Juvederm Voluma can be injected to expand your lips to a higher extent while still looking natural. Other hyaluronic acid-based fillers include Belotero, Belotero Balance, Revanesse, and RHA, all of which can be administered using distinct injection techniques to meet your individual needs and even out asymmetry.
LIP SURGERY VS. LIP INJECTION
The beauty of lip filler injections is their non-surgical nature and limited possibility for adverse side effects and risks. Nevertheless, there are certain surgical lip procedures that are popular for people looking for a more permanent option. Two of the most common lip lifting surgeries include the bullhorn lip lift and lipotransfer.
The bullhorn lip lift, also known as a subnasal lift, is a common cosmetic surgery in which the philtrum, the space between the upper lip and nostrils, is shortened. This is done via a small incision made below the nostrils to pull the skin upward, rolling out the upper lip and making it appear vertically extended. The recovery period for the bullhorn lip lift typically lasts approximately two to four weeks and involves swelling, bruising, and discomfort, particularly while eating, speaking and sneezing. A very common side effect is scarring of the lips, which may require additional laser resurfacing procedures.
As the name suggests, a lipotransfer, also known as fat grafting, involves the transferring of fat from one part of your body to your lips. During this surgical procedure, adipose tissue is harvested from a given region of the body, typically the abdomen, purified, and then injected into the lips. Because liposuction involves surgical intervention, there is general anesthesia and expected downtime of approximately 1 – 2 weeks and a long list of potential risks and side effects, including lumpy lips as fat, which may be metabolized unevenly by the body.
The primary difference between these surgical lip enhancements and hyaluronic acid-based lip fillers is that lip fillers are minimally invasive, involve less downtime, and are associated with significantly less risk. However, surgical alternatives offer longer-lasting or even permanent results, while hyaluronic acid fillers may last anywhere from 9 months to 2 years.
ADDITIONAL PROCEDURES THAT WORK WELL WITH LIP INJECTIONS
If you want to optimize your lip transformation with treatments that complement lip fillers, there are plenty of options to do so. You may have noticed that aside from general enlargement of your lips, you also want that pouty upper lip – this can be easily accomplished with a few units of Botox injected into the muscle right above the lip to create what is called a “Botox lip flip”. In addition, Botox injected into this area can be beneficial for those of you suffering from those pesky perioral lines (also known as smoker’s lines) around the top lip.
Various dermal fillers can be added to other regions of the face to further sculpt its features for jawline contouring, or to rejuvenate a tired or old-looking face with under eye filler or cheek filler. Just like you can change the shape of your lip, you can use HA gel to reshape your nose as well. Aside from volume and hydration loss that comes with age, our collagen production decreases leaving us with lax skin, and sometimes lines and wrinkles around the mouth that unfortunately can’t be addressed with lip filler or Botox alone. In these cases, you can opt for a skin tightening treatment like Fraxel laser or Secret RF microneedling for skin resurfacing in the areas that need it most.
WHAT IS A LIP FLIP?
A lip flip is a minimally invasive procedure that creates the illusion of a more projected upper lip through the injection of 4 – 10 units of Botox into the orbicularis oris muscle right above the vermilion border and near the cupid’s bow of the upper lip. Over the following 3 – 5 days, the lip becomes more relaxed and is no longer pulled inward, creating an outward flip.
HOW CAN I MAGNIFY MY LIPS WITHOUT FILLER?
If you are a first-timer and lip filler feels a little too intimidating for you, there are alternative options to enhance your lips, though they will not compare to the results that you would get with a skillfully placed dermal filler. There are also some “needle-free lip fillers” that are trending on social media in New York, particularly, the hyaluron pen – which essentially forces hyaluronic acid gel into your lips through immense pressure, potentially causing more harm than even a needle and leaving many with botched, bruised, and uneven lips.
You need to be careful when selecting an alternative method and be sure to do your research. Safer options to emphasize your lips without injecting a dermal filler are lip flips using Botox injections, and for those of you who just can’t do needles, lip plumping balms are a great option and work by temporarily causing minor irritation to the lips, saturating their color and swelling them up ever so slightly.
HOW MUCH FILLER IS NEEDED FOR MY LIPS?
The amount of dermal filler you will be getting for your lip enhancement fundamentally depends on how much volume you want to add. The average dose is 1 mL of HA filler, which equates to about a quarter of a teaspoon. This amount is very unlikely to leave you looking fake, though some of Dr. Schwarzburg’s patients in NYC like to start with a half syringe (0.5 mL) and then add more once the half dose has settled. Other patients go for 2 – 3 mLs, though Dr. Schwarzburg rarely injects 3 syringes all during the same visit as he is a firm believer in “less is more”. The primary determining factor of how much filler is needed for your lips is your desired result. If you want a more dramatic look, you will need more than the average dose. Others may want to go with a smaller amount, if it is your first time, for example, to get a feel for what they like, and add more over time.
WHICH FILLER IS BEST FOR THE LIPS?
There is no single filler that is “the best” for your lips, just like there is no specific amount of filler that looks right on everyone. Your facial anatomy and the structure of your lips, as well as the outcome you want all factor into the filler that Dr. Schwarzburg selects for your individual treatment. Other things to take into consideration while choosing a type of filler are how hydrated the HA gel is, the density or G-prime of the filler, and your individual response to any given HA gel. Some dermal fillers are fully hydrated, meaning that they will not expand beyond what they already are upon injection. Other fillers are partially hydrated, causing whatever component is dehydrated to absorb surrounding water molecules upon injection, expanding over the course of the following hours. Fillers with higher G-prime are denser and harder and are ideal for people who want to change the shape or fix asymmetry in the lips. Lower G-prime fillers are softer and usually more subtle.
LIP FILLER INJECTIONS NEEDLE VS CANNULA
Dr. Schwarzburg always uses a very fine needle to inject the lips with dermal filler as needles offer precision and accuracy during the injection process. You may have read online or heard that cannulas are safer – while this does apply to some areas, such as the buttocks, it does not apply to the lips. Because cannulas have a blunt tip, you are less likely to bruise, but in an area as small and delicate as the lips, a cannula is extremely imprecise and often results in a sloppy outcome.
IS LIP FILLER PAINFUL?
Lip injections can be painful for some people, as the area itself is extremely sensitive and fine. Most people feel a pinch or sting, though this sensation can be minimized with a topical numbing agent containing lidocaine applied 15 – 20 minutes prior to the injections. You can also apply an ice pack to further numb the lips beforehand, and if you know that you have a low pain tolerance, you can even ask Dr. Schwarzburg for injectable lidocaine to fully numb your lips. Most HA fillers actually contain a sufficient percentage of lidocaine, making the overall process extremely tolerable.
HOW LONG UNTIL MY LIP RESULTS KICK IN?
You’ve been waiting long enough to bring out your lips – hyaluronic acid dermal fillers will give you immediate results upon administration. Keep in mind that your lips will be swollen for the first 3 days, meaning that this, sometimes intimidating, fullness will go down a bit as your lip filler settles and heals. Because the lips are so vascular, it is common for patients to develop minor bleeding underneath the skin, which may last up to 1 week – bruising is normal and no cause for panic. To speed up the healing process, you can also apply a warm compress to these minor hematomas.
HOW LONG WILL MY LIP INJECTION RESULTS LAST? ARE THEY PERMANENT?
HA lip fillers are not permanent. The average longevity of hyaluronic acid lip fillers is 6 – 12 months. This depends on the type of filler, how much is injected, and how your body metabolizes the filler. Dr. Schwarbzurg recommends touch-ups every 4 – 6 months to maintain your luscious new lips without watching them fully wear off and go back to square 1.
CAN MY LIP FILLER BE DISSOLVED?
Even though you may have been longing for larger lips all your life, there is always the possibility that after getting your lip filler, you decide that you actually do like the natural shape and size of your lips better. If this is the case, no worries – hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers are fully reversible via injection of hyaluronidase, an antidote to HA gel. Common hyaluronidase brands used by most doctors are Hylenex, Hydrase, and Vitrase.
LIP FILLER BEFORE AND AFTER RESULTS
Many people have thin lips or suffer from asymmetry before getting them adjusted with dermal filler. Before having your lips done you may also notice a general lack of shape or dehydration and wrinkles on the lips that never used to be there. Once you get your lip filler and your results start showing, all these issues will be resolved and you will be left with a fuller, more hydrated and youthful-looking, defined lip shape.
Before your lip enhancement, applying lip liner, and lipstick, and struggling with your entire makeup look was not only time-consuming but incredibly frustrating. At the point where you were ready to go out, wanting to look and feel your best, you were stuck with dealing with your lips that just didn’t fit right – applying lip liner properly is hard enough, what made it even harder was the shape and unevenness of your lips. After your lip fillers, you won’t have to struggle with the frustrating back and forth of removing and reapplying your lipstick in an attempt to get them looking just right. Instead, your lips will be symmetric and fully corrected, saving you both time and energy, and boosting your confidence on your night out.
Before getting your lips done, feeling confident with your brand-new lipstick was hard with all the volume loss, dryness, and wrinkles that have begun to appear as you’ve gotten older. After your lip filler this will no longer be a problem as the dryness and crepeness of your mature lips will be diminished, leaving you with a plumper and rejuvenated mouth with an overall fresher and smoother appearance.
WEARING LIPSTICK AFTER LIP FILLER
You can wear lipstick 1 hour after your lip injections after the micro-wounds from the needle punctures have healed. However, you may want to skip the lipstick and stick to a soft lip balm as your lips will likely be dry and potentially cracked immediately after your NYC appointment due to the quick expansion and swelling of your lips.
LIP FILLER INJECTIONS AND BRUISING
The lips are extremely vascular and can certainly bruise after even the smallest needle punctures one of those tiny blood vessels in your lips resulting in minor bleeding under the skin. These mini-hematomas do not always occur, though it is possible and can never be predicted. A cold pack followed by warm compress will help speed up the healing process if this is the case for you.
WHEN IS IT OKAY TO EAT AND DRINK AFTER LIP INJECTIONS?
There are no restrictions in terms of eating or drinking after lip filler, though you should be cautious right after your appointment, as your lips may still be numb. The last thing you want is to enjoy a sandwich after you get your lip reshaped, and accidentally biting into them causing additional swelling, bruising, or even migration. Hence, it’s advised to wait at least 1-2 hours before you venture out and grab a snack in many of New York City’s cafes and eateries.
WHAT DO I DO ABOUT SWELLING?
Swelling is normal after any dermal filler and usually subsides after 3 days. In some cases, if the filler was improperly placed above the vermilion border above your lips, the “swelling” does not go down leaving you with this ducky look. In this case, the filler is simply injected wrong and can be dissolved and refilled by a more experienced provider.
WILL LIP FILLER RUIN MY LIPS?
No – a skillfully placed lip filler will not ruin or damage your lips. In fact, it will keep them looking young and hydrated. Once the filler is metabolized by the body, your lips will simply snap back to what they were before you ever got filler.
It is extremely important to get your filler injected by a skilled and experienced board-certified physician like Dr. Schwarzburg to avoid any complications or permanent damage or deformation of your lips. New York is riddled with a lot of medspas offering this seemingly easy procedure where nurses and other allied professionals inject lips without physician supervision.
IS LIP FILLER COVERED BY INSURANCE?
Because lip filler injections are not medically necessary and strictly cosmetic, they are not covered by insurance.
GETTING LIP FILLERS WHILE PREGNANT
There is no scientific evidence that lip fillers are dangerous for pregnant women, however, because dermal fillers haven’t been tested on pregnant women, they are not FDA-approved for women carrying or breastfeeding.
CAN MEN GET LIP FILLER?
Absolutely! Dr. Schwarzburg has many male patients at his NYC-based cosmetic dermatology practice who get dermal fillers injected into their lips to rejuvenate and hydrate, enhance, even out, or simply reshape their lips. United States statistics demonstrate that 20% of minimally invasive cosmetic treatments are performed on men.
ARE LIP FILLERS SAFE?
Yes! Lip fillers are FDA approved in New York and have been clinically tested and proven to be a safe means to pronounce and restructure the lips without the invasiveness of plastic surgery. Do make sure that you know what product your provider is using on you and that your injector is an experienced board certified cosmetic physician who specializes in minimally invasive injectables and dermal fillers to avoid any complications or risks.
ARE LIP FILLERS WORTH IT?
Based on overall patient satisfaction at Dr. Schwarzburg’s NYC clinic alongside excellent feedback on patient’s experiences in terms of cost, recovery time, and the overall process of the procedure on reliable sources such as RealSelf, which has a 95% approval rate, yes, lip fillers are worth it. Such reviews demonstrate consistent satisfaction regarding the ease and quickness of the injections themselves alongside the speedy recovery time and incredible outcomes.
In today’s society, there is a large emphasis placed on the standards set by social media, which may influence people to want that perfect pout. Whether you are looking for that classic model look and want to plump up your lips, or are looking to rejuvenate your appearance by subtly enhancing and hydrating the lips, when performed using a technique specific to your needs, you will be more than happy with your results. Lip fillers are also a great way to maintain a youthful appearance as they keep your lips plump, without the unfortunate loss of volume that comes with age. In addition to volume loss, we develop wrinkles and lines on and around our lips, which can be mitigated and prevented with routine preventative lip injections.
LIP FILLER PROS AND CONS
- FDA approved as a safe and effective means to enhance the lips when performed by a skilled and qualified injector.
- Minimally invasive and nonsurgical, allowing patients to get the results they want without the risks and complications associated with surgical intervention.
- Minimal risks, side effects, and downtime is a great benefit, as you can return to work immediately after your treatment. Aside from a few minor and temporary side effects, your lips will be fully healed in 2 – 5 days.
- Improves the natural fullness and shape of the lip and is versatile in terms of technique, allowing patients with varying needs to achieve their desired outcome.
- Not permanent, though this may be viewed as a benefit to some as lip fillers can be dissolved and adjusted if they have second thoughts about their decision to get their lips done.
- Longevity of results may vary depending on how much filler is used and your individual biological response that will determine how quickly your body metabolizes the filler.
- May require more than one syringe for optimal results.
Lip fillers are a minimally invasive option to bring projection and volume to the lips to enlarge, reshape, or to even out asymmetry in the lips. Various hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers may be used to achieve any particular lip shape, which will be determined by you and Dr. Schwarzburg during your consultation. Results are immediate with minimal downtime, risks, or side effects, and will last up to 6 – 12 months.
WHERE CAN I GET LIP FILLER NEAR ME?
Lip fillers and other minimally invasive cosmetic treatments have become extremely popular with the rise of social media influencers, models, and celebrities showing off their perfect pouts. As such, there is an increasing number of medical spas that offer lip fillers, particularly in large cities like New York. It can be difficult to decide on a provider when you search for “lip filler near on me” with so many options to choose from on Google map, and many of us don’t know where to start. The primary factor to take into consideration is to make sure that your provider is a board-certified cosmetic physician, like Dr. Schwarzburg, who specializes in minimally invasive aesthetic treatments and injectables. With high credentials, it is easier to grasp his expertise, as opposed to a registered nurse or aesthetician. While some providers may be more cost-efficient, the chances of you experiencing serious complications and side effects are increased significantly if you end up at a practice with an inexperienced injector. Dr. Schwarzburg is a board certified cosmetic physician who has been performing cosmetic injectable treatments for over a decade, providing his much sought-after expertise and bringing nothing but optimal results to the table.
HOW CAN I GET STARTED ON MY LIP FILLER?
If you are looking for your go-to spot for lip filler in NYC, then Skinly Aesthetics is your spot. Owned and operated by Dr. Schwarzburg, M.D., Skinly is located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and offers a wide range of minimally and non-invasive cosmetic treatments, all of which are administered by the Doctor himself.
The cost varies $700-1200 for lip filler treatment depending on multiple factors including the credentials of your doctor
When administered by skillful MD your lips will look plump and natural.
After the injections are complete, the results are instant. It takes 2-3 days for minor swelling to decrease.
Depending on the type of filler used, metabolism levels and lifestyle, lip fillers will last 6-12 months
If administered by board certified MD with exquisite knowledge of anatomy and proprietary numbing techniques lip injections do not hurt.
Accounting for numbing, it will take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to get your lips injected
Use ice packs and avoid intense heat and exercise for 24 hours.
Lip fillers are completely safe when administered by knowledgeable and board-certified doctors
Makeup can be worn within 1 hour after lip injections are complete.
There is no “best lip filler”, every patient is unique and the treatment is tailored to individual patient’s anatomy and filler specifications. Fillers like RHA, Juvederm and Restylane are all successfully used.